Monday, July 9, 2012

Respect + Trust = Love??


Have been pondering over and playing around with these concepts...respect, Trust and love. My son comes and tells me " Ma, for this week's science test, I will work completely on my own. Don't ask me any questions...don't even take up my work. What say??" Forget saying anything, I was completely dumbstruck!! 2 things stared at me: 1. I had full confidence in his ability to do so. I was actually pleased with the confidence he was showing. Kind of respected his decision making ability. 2. Then, almost simultaneously another thought occured: Is he doing/saying this only to cut short his work? In other words I was mis trusting his decision,kind of doubting his intentions. although I still respected his ability to do. After playing around with these thoughts for a couple of more days, I made a concious effort to start trusting whatever he says: If he said I packed my bag, I accepted. If he said, I did my h/w, I accepted. If he said, I said my prayers, I accepted. What did this do to me?? Firstly, i was at complete peace...didn't realise how easy it was actually to be at peace. Just beleive!! What did this do to my son?? Aha!! thats the juicy part...coming up in part 2!! Stay tuned!!

4 comments:

  1. Akeela it is not about not trusting him, it is Maaism.
    My daughter shared the same with him. Initially I went ah fine, wonderful etc. But when she was not doing anything Maaism was appearing inside me and it took a conscious effort not to allow MAaism to take over and to trust the child's ability to take decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girija, I like your term...Maaism!! Took me a couple of secs to understand it and then I had a huge smile on my face!!
      Yup...I guess thats what it was...Maaism!!

      Delete
  2. Now the Maa in me is anxious to know....how children react to this. Will they take our trust for granted??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe...maybe not!! And the only way we'll find out is by trying it out!!
      So what say!!

      Delete