Monday, October 29, 2012

Now I know!!

Have been exploring self esteem and related topics over the past few weeks.
As always, a few snapshots of the past flash before me , whenever I am on this journey of exploring. Sharing one of those mental pictures of my life.

I was about 15 yrs when my eldest sister came down from the US with her first born child. My niece was just about 18 mnths then...and it was her first visit to her 'nani's' place. Being the first grand child....the excitement of my family was but obvious. But the other side of the picture was that my niece was not aware that there can be more than 2 people staying in one house!! She was terrified to see so many people in a house...that too all of the wanting to carry her, coo chi coo her and dote on her.!! She would run behind her mum, not letting her out of her sight for even a second.

But surprisingly, within   a few days only, she seemed to develop a deep liking for me. I was not doing anything special, infact I don't even really remember what I really did. But I do remember that I didn't try to enforce myself on her...gave her time n space to come to me. And guess how I was rewarded?? I was the only privileged one who was allowed to change her diaper!! Everyone, including me was quite surprised. How come, this little one has developed such a bond with me. (You see,I had not shown/displayed any particular talent in this field until then. )

 But now I know!!

Children, as young as 18 months...probably younger, can sense respect, feel it, when adults around them respect their choices, their space... their individuality. Older children will show appreciation with words, younger than that with their actions, younger than that with their behaviour and even younger than that...by allowing you to do their most intimate tasks....like changing their nappies!!

So go ahead, give it a shot. Try showing respect to children...instead of demanding it....and experience the change. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment